I have been really committed in testing out a new skin care "ritual" from Tatcha, sent to me a few weeks ago. I want to say I love it because I do, not because of the hype. And I do :)
First off, the packaging got an A+. Call me biased but I'm a big fan of beautiful Asian packaging.
- The cover letter and envelope were made of gorgeous paper with beautiful white patterns, very luxurious feeling. And there was the gold Tatcha logo sticker to seal them
- The media kit was neatly packed inside a matte paper pocket with similar pattern, and another beautiful picture on the front
- The full size product (the serum) came in a envelope box made out of brown sturdy paper, inside was a little paper roll that included a letter from Tatcha's founder about the company background, information about the product and use instructions. The bottle itself was of a beautiful shape, gorgeous metal logo on the front, swirly patter on the paper seal that ran across the lid.
The whole Tatcha skin care line was built around the signature Hadasei-3 bioactive complex - rice bran, red algae and green tea to improve the appearance of elasticity, moisturize skin and reduce the appearance of hyper-pigmentation. The Ritual (as Tatcha calls it) is the East (geisha's flawless skin secrets) meets West (simple skin care steps for gorgeous skin) concept, with 4 steps to be used daily (morning and night) and take 3 minutes or less.
As instructed, use your dry hand to apply the oil to your dry face. Camellia and Hadasei-3 lifts away impurities and makeup. With waterproof liner and mascara, I still go over my eyes with eye makeup remover, to be thorough. And I only use this oil at night.
These are the sample size - 1oz/ 30ml, the full sized bottle (5.1oz/ 150ml) retails $48.
The powder is water activated powder, so you just add a few drops of water in the powder and lather it up. Note that it does not require lengthy time on the skin nor hard scrubbing. Go less than a minute, depending on the desired level of exfoliation, as it is strong as it says.
The formula is a blend of rice and papaya enzymes, and Hadasei-3, to remove debris without burning, tingling or hard abrasives. Skip step 1 and use this for days you don't wear makeup.
There are 3 different blends:
- Gentle (pink, for sensitive skin) with licorice root extract to soothe
- Classic (white, for normal skin) with pearl to condition
- Deep (green, for active skin) with dokudami to soothe and reduce appearance of blemishes.
I am still lingering at the Gentle blend, as I think it is the perfect level for me. A packet (0.04oz/ 1g) was good for 2 uses for my face. Also only use the powder at night, every other day.
I got the sample packets, the full sized jar (2.1oz/ 60g) costs $65.
This is full size (1oz/ 30ml), just look at the bottle!
Asian botanicals and HADASEI-3 Bioactive Complex boost the skin's moisture, prevent future age spots, clarify existing ones.
The cream is made of liquid silk protein designed to form an invisible moisture-binding element on the skin. Thyme, ginseng roots and royal jelly promote skin moisture, including hyaluronic acid synthesis and amino acid balance.
These are all natural and biodegradable leaflets, powder/ fragrance/ pulp free, handmade, suitable for all skin types.
The sheets are not supposed to disturb makeup or steal moisture from the skin, can be used on both sides.
Made without: Mineral oil, synthetic colours/ fragrances, powder or pulp.
Contains: 100% abaca leaf, gold flake.
These are great to have in the hot summer days where you can't help to be oily on the face. Retails $12 for a pack (30 sheets), $40 for 4's or $150 for 10's.
Note: Shipping is free in the US, flat rate $20 for Canada (or free with orders of $250 or more). International shipping is available.
So I would say if I were to pick a favorite, I would go with either the cleansing oil or the powder. They are amazing and worth the money. And if you have extra cash to invest, this skin care ritual is a good one to have. The rest, like Tatcha says, "May the gift of enduring beauty now be yours!".