Sparkled Beauty

I Live to Shine

12/13/2010

H2O Sea Pure review

Posted by Halifax @ Sparkled Beauty

You might or might not have seen my BeatyStat batch on the sidebar, but yes I am in the BeautyStat blogger program. And this is my first review with it.

I was sent 5 products from H2O's sea-derived skin care line called Sea Pure. It is an anti-aging line, 98% natural, cruelty free and biodegradable.

The products do not contain:
- Synthetic fragrances
- Parabens
- Petrochemicals
- Phthalates
- Sulfates.

To start off, I don't think Sea Pure is for everyone. The line contains products with heavier consistency, suitable for 30+ age group who have concerns about fine line and dull looking skin. Considering anti-aging fits right in my skin care realm, I was excited to try these products out.

First up is the Creamy Facial cleanser - 118ml/ 4oz, retails $20.

Ingredients: Water, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Lauric Acid, Decyl Glucoside, Potassium Hydroxide, Beeswax, etc.

The cell-renewing marine-sourced amino acids and sea moss are to minimize the look of fine lines and hydrate the skin.

This is a thick cream cleanser which foams up with some added water during washing. My face feels clean (no greasy feeling) but I still need a toner after to remove very last bits of makeup residue. The citrus scent (which is consistent in all products of this line) was mild and very pleasant.

I remain skeptical about how much extra a cleanser could do to your skin being in contact with it for such a short period of time. With the cleanser alone, I can't say I notice any visible effect on my face. And as it doesn't come near my eyes, the fine lines around there can't be taken care of.

A step up from the cleanser is the Gentle Refining polish, 75ml/ 2.5oz, $30.

Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Capprylic Triglyceride, Sweet Almond oil, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Powder, etc.

This is a scrub to massage away dull surface cells. Besides the cell-renewing amino acids and sea moss like in the cleanser, it contains fine-grained bamboo extract which is not very visible on the product  but you can certainly feel it on your skin when rubbed in.

I'm a big fan of scrubs, so I do enjoy this product, but also have to follow up with a toner after. Note that this is not a mild scrub for every day use due to the intensity of the texture.

And there is the Renewing Prep tonic, 210ml/ 7oz, $18.

Ingredients: Water, Sorbitol, Sodum Lactate, Glycerin, Benzyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Sorbate, Sodum Citrate, Carrageenan Extract, Lactic Acid, etc.

The toner also has the cell-renewing amino acids and sea moss, plus the natural lactic acid to dissolve dull surface cells.

A bonus point for the pump on the packaging, as it gives more control over the amount of liquid I want on the cotton pad. However, again, I can't tell if the toner does any thing on the skin rather than finishing the cleanser/ polish job in cleaning my face.

On to more serious stuff, as I think they have better chance in working their effects on the skin :)

Deep Moisture cream, 50ml/ 1.7oz, $40.

Ingredients: Water, Caprylic Triglyceride, Jojoba Seed oil, Glycerin, Coconut oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Beeswax, Shea Butter, etc.

The cream supposedly helps repair signs of aging and boosts skin's cellular renewal cycle. And this is one thick cream, I tell you. I only use it at night, with a little less amount of product than I normally do with my moisturizer. Only on my face though, as I can't stand heavy products on my neck.

It absorbs slowly and I can still feel a bit of it on my face after a while, so be prepared. However, it does not bother me much as I see some result out of it. My face looks a little less boring in the morning so I can fake a good night sleep a little more easily :) Skin's renewal cycle isn't visible for my eyes to see, so it's kinda hard to confirm that.

To pair with the above cream is the Perfecting Eye cream, 15ml/ .5oz, $32.

Ingredients: Water, Caprylic Triglyceride, Jojoba Seed oil, Meadowfoam Seed oil, Glycerin, Coconut oil, Shea Butter, Beeswax, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, etc.

Absorption speed is a little faster than the face cream but not much. It's supposed to take care of the delicate skin around the eyes, and I do use it every night as you know how freaked I am with the fine lines underneath my eyes. So far the lines look a little less visible but it is not a miracle.

Looks like the ingredients of the 2 creams are shuffled around a bit but are basically the same. And many have argued about the reason to have a separate eye cream if you already have a face cream. I would say in this case, I agree with that. Go for the face cream, if you are in the targeted group and skip the eye cream.

And I don't need to comment/ rant on the tub packaging of the creams, do I?

Note: the line claims to be 100% vegan while ingredients list includes beeswax. As far as I know, beeswax is a vegetarian product but is not vegan. Thought I should mention it.

In summary, H20 makes an effort to take care of the age groups with aging skin concerns. Price point is at department stores' mid range but the effects (how the products work) leaves some room for improvement. I incorporate the products into my skin care routine in rotations, but will not totally depend on them. The thick consistency might deter younger users who are eager to start the anti-aging process.

3 comments:

  1. Back in HS, I used to be such a fan of H20 products. then I branched out into other brands, and haven't gone back, unless it was for perfume.

    Funny they made such a big mistake though...beeswax :T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sea Pure Renewing Prep Tonic - This also smells of lemons. I found the packaging of this quite ingenious has there is a nice pump on the product. A lot of tonics and toners have no dispenser or are a spray which unless it can do double the work and set your makeup makes little sense to me. This felt really nice and refreshing and didn't strip my skin. I'd buy this as well.

    Welcome to my blog at: http://blog.soliditytrade.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rasilla, I didn't know you were a H2O former user :) But yeah, too bad about beeswax

    Intel, thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete