Sparkled Beauty

I Live to Shine

5/05/2016

Smashbox Primer must-haves

Posted by Halifax @ Sparkled Beauty

Another value set on Sephora that caught my attention: Smashbox Primer must-haves, $30 ($57.50 value). I never tried either of the products but sure was curious about them so I decided to grab the set.

The items included in the set:
- Photo Finish Pore Minimizing oil free foundation primer (full size 1oz, reg. $50)
I did not realize how expensive Smashbox primers are now, so this set is the way to go if you want this primer specifically.

- Photo Finish primer water (travel size 0.5oz, reg. $15 for 1oz or $37 for 3.9oz).

I personally do not think primers have to get all fancy, since I do enjoy a few inexpensive versions that work for my skin. Therefore, the purpose of this post is more to let you know about this set than to rave about something new.

Now the Photo Finish Pore Minimizing oil free foundation primer sounds like just the thing for me with areas with large pores and an oily T zone.

Smashbox says the product reduces the look of pores, absorbs oil while being non-drying, sweat and humidity resistant. To wear it alone, over or under makeup, or dab on for touchups.

I find the claims prove half way. I do enjoy the mattifying and subtle blurring effects that the primer gives but they do not last through the day, and I still need to blot by lunch time.

Here is the texture of the Pore Minimizing primer (left) in comparison to Benefit Porefessional face primer (right).

It is not easy to tell by the picture, but Smashbox Pore Minimizing primer is quite a bit thicker, hence takes a bit more time to blend out. I would say the blurring effect is about the same between the 2 primers. Price per oz is also the same (unless you get the 1.5oz jumbo size, online only, at $50). Overall, I am indifferent about these two.

The Photo Finish primer water is more interesting to me, as it is a primer spray that is supposed to hydrate and revitalize the skin.

I am a fan of the spray format, anything that saves me time in the morning. And the formula is silicone/ alcohol/ oil free, packed with electrolytes that work to reawaken skin and restore moisture. It sprays on finely and absorbs into the skin quickly. So far so good.

What excites me is the multi purposes that the spray can be used for - a primer to prep the skin for makeup, a setting spray after makeup, or a refreshing spray through the day (or a cooling spray if stored in the fridge in the summer).

Now I like this primer water the most before makeup. It is quick and easy, wakes my skin up first thing in the morning, not super hydrated but works well with my moisturizer. It does an ok job for the other 2 purposes in a pinch but I would stick to Skindinavia spray to set and Tatcha mist to hydrate during the day.

I would say the set is a fun way to try both products or to stock up on the Pore Minimizing primer if you are already a fan. It is LE however, so keep an eye on it if you want it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment