Sparkled Beauty

I Live to Shine

1/04/2016

Elf new face products

Posted by Halifax @ Sparkled Beauty

So it is 2016, sure does not feel like it. My skin is going totally haywire. Blemish pops up anytime/ anywhere it wants, and oil production is out of control.

Since I didn't change up my skin care and makeup routine except adding an oil control primer, I blame it on the hot and humid weather. Conveniently, I had with me a few new face products from Elf that I ordered before I left for vacation. Figure it was a good time to test them.

So here are Elf Acne Fighting foundation in Buff, and the Poreless and Blemish Control face primers.

The Acne Fighting foundation claims to be lightweight, able to disguise redness and blemishes. 

I do welcome the acne fighting ingredients in the formula - Salicylic Acid (0.5%), Witch Hazel, Camphor, Tea Tree - and soothing Aloe, but did not expect a tremendous difference in my skin as the amount of Salicylic Acid (the only indication on the packaging) is quite minimal.

Performance wise, the product takes a bit of time to blend out and to look natural on its own, definitely needs a good primer. Coverage is medium, with a light feel, which I like. Lasting power is decent, fading starts mid afternoon, even with primer and setting powder.

The squeezing tube packaging is not ideal (no pump) but travel friendly. I'll give this foundation another run in colder weather to say for sure if I like it enough. The tube is 1.2oz/ 36ml, $6 on Elf website.

The primers' packaging has a nice feel to it - frosted thick plastic tube with airless pump, slightly bulky though. The inside tube is coloured, while the primers are white and blend out clear.

The Poreless primer (infused with Tea Tree and vitamins A & E, hence the tea tree scent) is meant to reduce the appearance of large pores and shine on the skin. It does a decent job around my nose and on my forehead. And I welcome a matte finish on my T zone any time.

The Blemish Control primer is a different story. Infused with Salicylic Acid (2%, the highest amount allowed in non-prescriptive treatments), Tea Tree and vitamin E to help control breakouts, this primer is more of an acne treatment, and gives a satin finish if you follow it up with a foundation.

Instructions: cover the affected area with a thin layer, once - 3 times a day. The product blends out nicely and does not leave any trace or scent. The areas become less irritated and accepts makeup better. I am a fan.

Note that it does not lengthen the wear of foundations (does not claim to do so).

The primer bottles are 0.47oz/ 14ml, $6 each.

Buff does have a yellow undertone, good for the lighter side of medium skin tone.

The primers look and feel very similarly on the skin, but like I said, serve different purposes.

My vote goes to the Blemish Control primer as it is an acne treatment that is easy to use, dries clear and fast, comes in a good amount for a reasonable price, especially when Elf runs one of those 50% off sales. If you are looking for a new acne treatment, give it a try.

0 comments:

Post a Comment