Sparkled Beauty

I Live to Shine

2/25/2014

NYC Vox Box gift pack

Posted by Halifax @ Sparkled Beauty

I received a NYC package from Influenster Vox Box last week, as a gift after completing the review of NYC Big Bold products with a FOTD last month.

Reviews were not required for these but I thought some of you might be interested in seeing how more NYC products perform.

What I got, from L-R:
- HD Felt tip liquid liner in Extra Black (which I won't review, as I have others to finish before they all dry out)
- City Proof Twistable Intense lip color in Ballroom Blush
- Sun 'n Bronze bronzing powder in Hamptons Radiance, and
- Individual Eyes palette in Smokey Charcoals.

The Sun 'n Bronze bronzer looks quite nice with stripes of colours running through it. However, it shows up light on my skin tone.

The swatch on the left was done heavily with the darkest stripe only, with a narrow brush, for colour concentration. I tried to contour my face this way but the colour did not show up well. It would look nicer on lighter skin though.

On the right is how the bronzer looks all swirled together with a blush brush. Hamptons Radiance will add a touch of warmth all over face with a light sheen, like a finishing powder, not a bronzer per se.

Despite the name, the Twistable Intense lip color is a little sheer with the first swipe but buildable (the swatch is with 3 swipes). Ballroom Blush is a quite bold fuchsia pink once built up, has a nice sheen to it.

It lasts a few hours on me with eating and drinking and does not seem to leave any stain on the lips. It is comfortable to wear, and needless to say, the twisting mechanism and the light candy scent are appreciated.

The Individual Eyes palette has 4 eyeshadows - Highlighter, All Over Lid and 2 Crease/ Contour (powder), plus a primer and an illuminator (cream).

The eyeshadows are by themselves on the top half and on top of the primer on the bottom half. The illuminator is across the bottom, quite shimmery.

The eyeshadows are not extremely pigmented, take about 3 swipes in the swatches. They all have a satin finish, are easy to blend. The black could be more pigmented to support the Smokey Charcoals name.

The primer goes on as a skin-tone-coloured cream but dries to a powder finish. It does not improve the colour payoff but keeps the eyeshadows in tact for about 6 hours on me. I use the illuminator on the brow bone, toned down with the white eyeshadow from the palette on top.

The palette has a hard plastic sheet that fits on top of each pan to minimizes contamination between the two textures, simple and effective. If the colour pigmentation is improved a bit more, this could be a great smokey palette on its own.

Overall, the Twistable Intense lip color wins the competition. With the $2.99 price tag, I might have to check out the purple shade called Gramercy Park Plum soon. Check out the FOTD I did with all the products mentioned :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow that is one bright red... lol Love those eyeshadows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is eh? It's funny having to try to tone it down to wear at work, I tell you

      Delete
  2. I have the NYC Sun'n bronzer, but in a different color shade. I don't know which right now. But it is much darker than that one you have, and I love it! I have light skin, but I have to apply it gently or it goes on too dark! :) It also has 3 bronzers with 2 highlighters, a bit different. And I love the hue of it. Great review on all the NYX stuff! :D I like the color balm, sounds better than Wet N Wild and Elf (for cheaper ones I've tried).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good to know another shade of the Sun 'n Bronze works well for you. I'll check them out next time I'm near the NYC section :)

      Delete