Sparkled Beauty

I Live to Shine

3/23/2010

Physician Formula Shimmer Strips Mascara Duo Review

Posted by Halifax @ Sparkled Beauty

So I posted about this Physician Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Mascara Duo in a Shoppers Weekend finds at the beginning of the month. I was intrigued by its promise of volumizing and lengthening plus ultra-dramatic & glamorous lashes.

First, let's see what the mascara looks like.

The description: As the name suggested, it's a dual ended mascara with black in the longer end and purple (I chose the duo for brown eyes) in the shorter end. I think it's great because black obviously would be used more often than purple, together or separately.

Theoretically, black would lengthens and volumizes, and purple adds the dramatic effect when needed.

The mascara is a little longer than normal, and the tube is square, so you gotta wrap your hand around it to have a good grip.

The brush: it's big and hard, sadly. With my small eyes and straight lashes, it hurts when I bring the brush close to my eyes. For that reason, I might not have an even and thorough application with this brush.

It might be just me, as I am spoiled with gentle and small mascara brushes. In the picture, for comparison purpose, are the brushes from L'Oreal Voluminous (in the middle) and Marcelle Lash Extreme (at the bottom) - the 2 mascaras that I use most often.

Now let's see the mascara in action.

The effect: I used both ends in these 2 looks, and similarly, it didn't do much to my naturally straight lashes. They might look a bit fuller, probably thanks to the fact that I used 3 coats (2 coats of black, one coat of purple).

Note that these are close up pics, so the lashes might look long on there, but trust me, they are not.

Extra proof: closed-eye pics. The lashes remained the same - sad, straight and short.





Summary:
Pros:
- Convenient packaging, 2 mascaras in 1 tube
- The coloured end is customized to different eye colours
- Hypoallergenic, fragrance/ paraben free and safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers (straight from the website)
- Free with full price rebate (limited time offer).

Cons:
- Hard and large brush which is not easy on small eyes
- No lengthening effect proved
- The colour mascara isn't that visible on the lashes
- Not cheap (CAD16.99, if you have to pay full price).


So it was nice to try out a new product, but it did not work for me this time. If any of you have bought this mascara, I'd love to know what you think of it, as it might work differently with different lash conditions.

5 comments:

  1. I actually kinda liked it. But This is only the second mascara I've ever used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agreed that the color wasn't really obvious and I did have a problem applying it evenly over my lashes especially with the purple mascara. However, I actually like the way it goes on...no clumps and it builds on my lashes without looking so obvious that I applied the mascara. Actually I can barely see which part already has the mascara...~_~ Anyways, it did flattened curled eyelashes a lot. Considering I'm still a newbie in makeup, I think I'll love this mascara better with more practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perry, it's great that you like it. Experience with makeup varies :-) Wear it more hun

    moonRabbit, great points, and yes, more practice is needed with this mascara, for you and me too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was thinking of trying it out., seeing as it was free w rebate...
    but i just got too many unused mascaras at home to justify buying it >_<
    so thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. rasilla, well it's free, so technically you don't buy it, lol. But yeah, it's your decision hun :-)

    ReplyDelete